Applies to :
- Windows 2003 server.
To perform this task, you need to have :
- Knowledge in accessing the server via Remote Desktop.
- IP address or server hostname.
- Your server Remote desktop username and password.
There are 2 way to prevents people on other network computers from seeing your server :
- Editing the registry
- Open the registry editor. From desktop, click Start > Runâ€¦ , Type regedit in the Run window and click OK.
- Go to :
- From the Edit menu, choose New > DWORD Value, then rename the new Value to Hidden.
- In the Data field, type 1 to enable hiding and choose OK.
- Restart your server.
- Using the NET CONFIG SRV command
Note: This value is case sensitive and must begin with a capital H.
This setting can also be changed using the following command :
net config server /hidden:yes|no
- To hide the computer from the Browser List, type net config server /hidden:yes at the command prompt , and then press ENTER.
- To unhide the computer from the Browser list, type net config server /hidden:no at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
Note: It may take up to 30 minutes for the server to disappear from the Browser lists.